The Cherokee County ANR agent, Josh Fuder, and I (Ashley Hoppers) have teamed up this year to offer a virtual apple grafting class! The cost is $35.00 per person and the deadline to register is Friday, March 19 (however, I anticipate the program will fill to capacity well before the deadline).
By registering, you will also have access to pre-recorded lectures and tutorials covering:
- History of Apples in Georgia and the Southern U.S.
- Apple Genetics and Varieties
- How to Collect and Store Scions for Grafting
- Grafting Technique
- Post Grafting Care & Pruning
Participants will be provided with the following supplies:
- 5 semi-dwarf rootstocks (M7 about 15′ tree at maturity)
- 9 labeled scions (“Yates”, “Winter Terry”, “Tarbutton”, “Southern Detroit”, “Golden Delicious”, “Woodstock”, “Myers Royal Limbertwig”, Rambo”, and “Arkansas Black”
- 5 vinyl plant tags for labeling
- Precut strips of parafilm
Participants will need to provide their own:
- Grafting knife
- Nail polish or paint dab to seal any cut ends
Dates and times of LIVE Zoom class times:
(if you need any help after watching our uploaded video content, Josh and I will be leading these troubleshooting sessions)
Wednesday, March 31 from either 9:00 – 10:00 a.m. OR 12:00 – 1:00 p.m
Thursday, April 1 from either 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. OR 6:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Farmers Market Fall Finale – open from 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. this Saturday, October 3rd
Great selection of items handmade by local crafters. Get stocking stuffers, Xmas gifts, or treat yourself!
The Wildflowers for Pollinators event at the Gilmer County Library tonight 2/6/20, has been CANCELLED due to hazardous road conditions and flooding. Be safe out there.
Feb. 6, 2020 – Here are some links that you may find valuable related to the Library Program being provided this evening!
Native plants of Georgia: Bulletin 987- 3
The Gilmer County Master Gardener Extension Volunteers will host the 2nd Annual Christmas Market.
Date: Saturday, November 16
Hours: 10:00am – 2:00pm
If you have any questions, please email us at, email@example.com
or call/text Margaret at 706-273-9163.